PUT YOUR IPOD/ITUNES ON SHUFFLE, AND FOR EACH SONG THAT POPS UP, GIVE A MEMORY WITH THAT SONG OR AN EXPLANATION OF IT, NO MATTER WHICH SONG!
1. Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap
Senior year, riding in the car with my brother or sister, because they were obsessed with this song. :) And yes, it was before it got all trendy, of course. Haha. It makes me happy, usually, but it's also really powerful lyric-wise if you really listen to it, so it occasionally makes me sad (in a good way).
2. Life of a Salesman - Yellowcard
2. Life of a Salesman - Yellowcard
Scott and freshman year. :D Paul and I would catch a ride to school with him in his pick-up truck and he'd play this song a lot and explain that it was fun to drive to. One of the rare things from freshman year that I really miss.
3. Black Mamba - The Academy Is...
3. Black Mamba - The Academy Is...
High school for sure. I think this was one of the first songs I got hooked on by The Academy Is. Happiness. :)
4. Don't Be So Hard - The Audition
4. Don't Be So Hard - The Audition
Michelle, and the summer before college...she put it on my b-day mix. Basically the anxiety and sadness associated with having your best friend leave you. I found the song very apt.
5. I Won't Stay Long - Sixpence None the Richer
5. I Won't Stay Long - Sixpence None the Richer
Middle school. 7th and 8th grade when I was really pretty miserable and listened to this song a lot. It's beautiful melodically, but quite depressing lyrically...embodies hopelessness perfectly.
6. Bleeder - Alkaline Trio
6. Bleeder - Alkaline Trio
Summer before college/first year of college at PPCC. I was obsessed with this song for a while. I related to the contradictions and too-late declarations of devotion at the time. And even now, really. Haha.
7. Shadows Like Statues - Matchbook Romance
7. Shadows Like Statues - Matchbook Romance
Sophomore year when I was going through a tremendously bad time and would listen to this band a lot. Being ignored/disregarded and generally feeling inadequate and unappreciated. Also Paul, because he introduced me to Matchbook Romance.
8. See You at the Show - Nickelback
8. See You at the Show - Nickelback
Lol. 9th grade and Farrah. She burned me this CD to try and get closer to me/possibly attempt to get into my brother and brother's friends' pants. It was a phase where I was completely clueless and trying to figure out who the hell I was and what I liked. I had always been told what I could and could not like.
9. Angel with No Wings - Kevin Max
9. Angel with No Wings - Kevin Max
Heh, 7th grade. This was one of the first CDs I owned all by myself. I had a massive crush on K. Max. :D Looking back, this song relates to me more now than it did then.
10. Scars - Papa Roach
10. Scars - Papa Roach
10th grade...the music video was always on TV. It makes me think of when Lydia invited me on a family outing and we listened to this on her headphones (before we had iPods!). We ended up in Cripple Creek and ate seafood. I was wearing a tie, and thought I was totally BA.
11. Alone in the City of Robots - Adair
11. Alone in the City of Robots - Adair
Warped tour and Michelle. We happened to be all lethargic and ended up sitting on the steps near one of the small stages, and they came on. She mentioned that the singer's voice sounded a bit like Bert from The Used. We ended up talking to a gay man from Denver and then lying on the lawn of the Red Lion Hotel fantasizing about hamburgers and milkshakes.
12. A Winters Day Monologue - Saturday Night at the Apollo
12. A Winters Day Monologue - Saturday Night at the Apollo
James. Oh geez. I put this on my myspace profile shortly after we started dating and he mentioned he liked it. It was kind of funny, 'cause I had put it up without thought about him, but once he mentioned it I of course related it to him. Because I am a girl. Lol.
13. Everytime - Britney Spears
13. Everytime - Britney Spears
Haaaa. Paul. He was in love with Britney Spears for a while. He still might be. But anyway, this was another video always playing on TV. And I remember there was huge controversy over it, because she died in the video and it had themes of suicide or w/e. Yet Davey Havok could jump off of a bridge in the Silver and Cold video and no mother thought it was too graphic. Oh, also, I saw Britney's Cabala bracelet in this video and would think MADONA! Everytime. :p
14. Roses for the Dead - Funeral for a Friend
14. Roses for the Dead - Funeral for a Friend
The last Warped Tour I went to with Michelle. Haha. Seems to be a recurring element in my music. But anyway, we stood out in the rain waiting for Funeral for a Friend's set and then they finally came out and blew us all away, basically. We were standing so close to the speakers that at one point the bass went through me so loudly that it felt like my head would implode. It was EPIC.
15. Somewhere Over the Rainbow - No Bare Feet
15. Somewhere Over the Rainbow - No Bare Feet
Lindsey, because she introduced me to No Bare Feet. Also Bri, because for some unknown reason we used to sing this song to each other in a Cockney accent. Don't ask.
16. Feelings - The Offspring
16. Feelings - The Offspring
Getting whiplash in Lindsey's jeep, Fonzie. We'd blast The Offspring with the windows rolled down in the summer and make people glare at us at stoplights. Good times.
17. The Last Day I Was Happy - Scarling
17. The Last Day I Was Happy - Scarling
Junior year. I immersed myself in other people's problems to try and get rid of my own. It didn't work, and as a result I had a lot of pent-up anger. Also, James again. I was on a Scarling kick when we were dating and I got him into it too.
18. Pennyless - Plumb
18. Pennyless - Plumb
Elementary school-middle school. Plumb was Christian, so I was allowed to listen to them, but it was still considered a little on the wild side. Ha. This song reminds me of Chicago because of that, and also 'cause it's set there.
19. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
19. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
My childhood and the classic rock I was exposed to. My mom. Also Nelsa, because she put this on a mix to me.
20. You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You - Dean Martin
20. You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You - Dean Martin
My dad, old black and white movies, my childhood. He loves Dean Martin. Italian food, family, and Chicago. More recently it makes me think of Gunnison, and my friend Bailey, who is 5'8" about as skinny as me, drag-races, has a bunch of tattoos, and loves dressing up and playing old music like this.
21. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Richard Cheese
Haha, oh Richard Cheese. He makes me think of Kelsie and the library, because that's where she made me listen to the first song I ever heard by him. Also, the original song was played at my Senior prom, and was one of the only ones that wasn't rap made for the purpose of having sex while standing style dancing. I head-banged to it.
22. Play It Loud - MxPx
My guys/the first few years after we moved to CO. Car rides to youth group where I was the only girl in the vehicle and they all messed with me. SWAG in Ashley-Anna's car.
23. Awkward Last Words - Armor For Sleep
23. Awkward Last Words - Armor For Sleep
Emooooo times. Anger and sadness and stress. Sophomore year as a whole, and especially Mr. Wing's writing class, where we were allowed to tune out the world and just write, which was the highlight of my day and how I got through third trimester.
24. Mary's in India - Dido
24. Mary's in India - Dido
Middle school, the confusion that is inherent in puberty. My mom, because she loves Dido and I bought her this CD. And by bought, I mean asked my dad for the money. Haha.
25. Parody at the Masquerade - We Are the Fury
25. Parody at the Masquerade - We Are the Fury
Rebellion, independence. Summer between PPCC and moving to Gunni so I could go to Western. The four-year college experience and the friends I've made there, especially Nelsa, because I put this on a mix I made for her.

Awesome. I wanna read your biography one day. Or write it, whichever you prefer.
ReplyDelete